Thursday 7 May 2009

Final Blog...

I everyone... I again apologise for the belatedness of this bolg however it has been difficult to get some internet access and with stuff being pretty hectic now I am back in the real world!

The last day at Taunton Vale Golf Club in Somerset was a cracker...the weather was set fair and I managed to get 8 other people to join me for my final 18 holes! My flatmate Ashley came down from London and he brought with him his Two uncles, Pat and Tony. The others that joined me were Moggy, Matt, Mark, Andy, Pete Bettridge ( fat Matt's dad!). Jeremy Brown the local MP came to see me off and also joined by a photographer from the Taunton and Somerset Gazzette, the local rag! We got there early to have a bite to eat and get the photographs we wanted... I want to say a special thanks to Lizz Osmond, Tiffany Bell, Keira Mackey, Mum and Dennis, Karen and Ross Young and Alex Morrice for also joining me for lunch. It was nice to be able to relax and have a quick shandy before the golf as all the other rounds were, get there tee off as is were!

We started a 2.38 and Ahsley, my flatmate agreed, sometime ago, to caddy for me on my final round! I must admit that it took me a while to get used to that! everytime I played a shot I, out of habit, went straight to my back a picked it up! Also it did feel more like an enjoyable walk not having to carry for the first time in 36 days! The golf and the company wre great even if I was a little fed up with golf by then! After we finished we had a swift pint and some food and drove in to town for the evenings festivities! i was keen to have a beer or 7 as this was the first opportunity in a while to relax with knowledge that I didn't have to get up the following morning an chase a golf ball round a field! We had a lovely night and one that was followed by a headache the next morning! Always a good sign of a good night!

I am actually quite pleased that I have had a few days to process finishing the tour... i wanted to raise a lot more money however in the time I have had to reflect I have realised this is just one event! It's my first ever fundraising effort and one that If I did again I would have done may things differently...however If I had raised just £100 then that would have been £100 that the fund didn't have before. Just to let you all know that this certainly won't be the last fundraising event I organise! I have learnt from this experience that to raise lots of money one doesn't have to arrange a marathon tour like this one...I have enjoyed...maybe deep down I feel like I have deserved this trip! I know to many of you that will sound like a selfish comment an I apologise if it does! But last year really was the hardest year of my life... I spent the previous 24 years in blissful ignorance of the terrible things that there are in the world... some people discover this nastiness at and early age and some later on but I think I have learnt that it does happen to us all... Life is a storm my friends...one day you be basking in the sunshine feeling as happy as could be...and another day you will be hiding away under a rock wishing for the moment to pass...but It's when that storm attacks that defines who you are...the way you react, the way you fight, the way you smile through it...you can let it get to you and complain that it's not fair...and it probably isn't fair but, in the words of Ole Blue eyes, That's Life...and I'm sure everyone one of you can remeber a time that has been crappy? but I'm also sure that you will be able to remeber a time that has made you smile like a pup with two tails! A tear is currently running down my face... I'm not sure why...I thnik I am just remebering the smiley times that I have endured since my recovery...My brother's wedding to the lovely Charlotte was one of the nicest days of my life and I hope one day to be there one day when I meet the right person..who knows I might already have done. My Mother's wedding to Dennis... some people ask me how I feel about it...My only response could possibly be, If they are happy, then I am happy.

It is strange not having Dad around any more...I certainly miss his him. There were times when i was on my own on the golf course and would just chat away to myself a joke that I remember him telling, he certainly new a lot...I just wish I could remember them all. There are of course smaller more seemingly less important occurences since my recovery... The mindless argurments I have with my Mum...If they didn't happen then it wouldn't be the same! The constant kindness that I see people give to one another everyday...all the people that have helped me along the way...It amazes me what wonderful people I know and have met...I can be impatient, argumentative, selfish, boring, unresponsible, unkind, rude...But I think we can all be at sometime...but as I said in the speech I made at my Father David's funeral...those are the things that make us who we are...people don't remeber the good stuff...people can do 99 good things but will always be remembered for the 1 bad thing they may do! It's these idiosyncracies that make us who we are. And all my friends and family are good people! The people I have made friends with over the last 36 days are good people...for all my faults I do seem to attract good, loving, caring people! So thank you to you all for your support...

The whole crying thing wouldn't be so bad appart from the fact that I am currently in Surbiton Public Library making a scene...Me a scene...never!

I apologise for the slightly melancholy climate to this blog however, I have not pre written this...as I have not with all my blogs (hence spelling msitakes!)...it has just come out and wanted to share my thoughts with you all!

So thank you all for your support and reading these blogs... I feel pleased, not ecstatic, but pleased with my self for doing this tour...I now feel slightly unsettled and questioning, What is next? I think we all do that for time to time and I just hope I make the right decisions!

So everyone thanks again and remember...When the storms hits... which it will... BE STRONG, STUBBORN and POSITIVE.

So in the words of a famous cartoon character I think... That's all folks....

All my Love...

Will xx

4 comments:

  1. Well done Will, congratulations on a finishing the tour mate, we're all really proud of what you've done.

    ditto on the tear front - definately welling up.

    see you soon

    Big Bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Will...donations on way on ye olde pay day!!

    You've done really well mate, well chuffed for you....I look forward to another game of golf with you when you can face a small white ball!! (golf ball Will...not my head!)

    Thanks for letting me be a part of it!
    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations William. I am proud of you - you have done brilliantly. Apologies for still being a nag but it is only because I love you. Mum xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats- you've done really well. Jo says thanks for the number of some random Northerner (not sure if thats the number you meant to give her or not!?). They had a very surreal conversation about B@1 etc before establishing he definitley wasn't you. If you want to get in touch with her you can direct message me on Twitter- Kim_Godfrey

    ReplyDelete