Sunday 5 April 2009

Sorry for the delay...internet access at a premium...

Hi Everyone...

We have had problems the last few days getting internet access so apologies for the rubbish blogging! Last time I was with you Matt and I had just finished in Wiltshire. From there we stayed with Steve Gotting (my uncle). On wednesday we played North Hants golf club with Ben Gotting and Ayoola Erinle...the Leicester Tigers centre. It was a beautiful day with perfect playing conditons! Matt played excellently in partnership with Ayoola. I played with Ben and unfortunately wasn't in the best of form! Matt and Ayoola won with some hefty if somewhat fortunate golf...one particular shot from ayoola on a par three which never left the ground but finished 4ft form the pin! Ben made a comment on the 16th saying that he thought there wasn't a tree on the golf course that either me or Ayoola hadn't hit! He wasn't far off. I want to say a special thanks to Ayoola for joining us and Ben and Steve Gotting for putting me up and their continual support of me and the tour in general.

After North Hants Golf Club we travelled back to my flat in Surbiton in preparation for the Charity dinner at Tryst Restaurant and Bar...45 people were invited and with exception of some late replacements all turned up! I had a fantastic time and the response I have had from those that have got in touch has been the same. We raised £610 for the kitty so good work to all that attended!

On Thursday Matt and I were joined for the Surrey leg with Ray Barwick...Father of Katy Croft former PR lady for the Tryst. We played Hampton Court Palace Golf Club. The weather again was superb...the course was a very easy walk which was nice. Matt again played well and after finding my touch around the green played steady. It was a pleasure to have Ray's company as the banter was thick and fast. We then went back to the flat for a chill out and an early night in preparation for the Sussex leg.

The Sussex leg was day 7 of the golf tour. This brought us to Mannings Heath Golf Club Nr Horsham. Todat Matt and I were joined by Maurice East...Son in Law to my mother's former consultant John Richardson. Again it was an absolute pleasure to have Maurice join us...not only was he an excellent golfer but the chat and general smack talk was all good fun. Maurice also coined the phrase Bandit Bettridge as Matt absoloutely tore the course apart...playing off 17, he shot 11 over par - 6 under his handicap! Well done to Matt...I was steadily getting more consistent and was playing well off the tee. It just seems that one bad shot on most holes was meaning I was getting 6's instead of 5's which doesn't look so good on the scorecard. After the game we had a beer at the 19th before heading back to Surbiton. It was Hotel Bosco's first birthday party that evening and I felt the need to show my face...only for a while of course...well...maybe more than a while. Matt and I might have had one too many Brandy's as our heads the next day were a little fuzzy!!!!

Saturday and Grand National day was a special day for me for more than those reasons. It was day 8 of the golf tour and we were playing at Lydd Golf Club in Kent, a tricky links style course where the wind normally blows hard! Saturday was also the anniversary of my father David's death...it did happen to fall on Grand National day which was apt as Dad always liked a flutter on the National. We both played steady golf in tricky conditions and for the first time I came out on top! After the game we stopped for a brisk orange juice and lemonade before haeding into Ashford to place our bets for the National...My bet "My Will" came in third, however I failed two months ago, when I placed the bet, to put it on each way! Matt's horse Knowhere came...nowhere! We then travelled up the M20 under the Dartford tunnel and up the M25 to Essixxx where we stayed in a very reasonable hotel for the night. The weather at this point is still excellent and I am waiting to get punished one of the days coming.

Once in Essex we travelled to Stockbrook Golf and Country Club near Billericay...a stunning club with fantastic banquetting and hospitality facilties. We explained that we had nowhere to stay and as they had no rooms there they recommended and gave us a beer on the house!

Today...which is now sunday evening after playing Stockbrook Manor...as I said before it was a stunning course with lovely greens and millions of bunkers...most of them one of us managed to find! Things finally clicked for me today...after a few practice putts before we went out played the 1st. Matt found a horrible trap by the green and I was on in three and sank a 15ft putt. Par to start is always nice and I played pretty steady all the way round with some good shots in between. I shot one under my handicap and beat Matt again...much to his disgust as he is sat next to me currently saying.."I'm not concerned about playing well tomorrow... I just want to beat you!" Nice guy!

Anyway i promise to keep in touch more regularly...remember If there is anyone you know that would like to join me please look at the intinerary and let me know!

Thanks for reading this...be safe and be happy! As I am...just probably going to get more tired along the way...I won't stop smiling though!

East Herts Golf Club tomorrow...speak to you then!


Will and Matt x

1 comment:

  1. Hi Will, Stevie T here, I play quite reguarly, so if you come anywhere near Wales then I'll definetely give you a game. WARNING: I loose my temper on the course if things go tits up, throwing clubs and swearing is a regular occurance :0)

    ReplyDelete